- We’re in full Advent swing over there. Which is to say that I jerry-rigged another advent wreath this year (a week and a half late, no less), I pulled together a couple things to fill the kids’ shoes for St. Nicholas Day, and we’ve been eating lots of Christmas cookies from our annual baking day. So basically your slightly-below-average Advent preparations, in keeping with our tradition. But we’ve been listening to this awesome album and we’ve started doing The Christmas Star From Afar as a new family tradition, so we’re making progress.
- It’s been a hard few weeks of mothering. I hope I’m not outing myself that I haven’t exactly, um… put the “gentle” in the gentle mother scenario over here. 2.5 and almost-5 are proving to be challenging ages up for us. But you know what’s not challenging? Miriam. Because she’s seriously the happiest, cutest baby ever. Thank you, thank you, thank you, baby Jesus. Because I’m living on caffeine and baby giggles at the moment. (Oh, yeah, and the Christmas cookies.) HOWEVER, since I’ve been sensing that a lot of the struggle has been not enough one-on-one time with my older kiddos (especially Joe), I splurged on tickets to The Nutcracker and I’ll be taking him this weekend for a mother-son date. He is SO excited… not only to have a date with mama, but also to see some of these male ballet dancers I keep telling him exist. Ha!
- I’ve only bought like 2 little stocking stuffers for the kiddos so far, so I need to get cracking. We’re not going to go nuts with gifts this year, but I’m no grinch. I’m thinking I’d like to make them kits for our nature hikes- little satchels, notebooks, pencils, a compass, binoculars… I’ve got everything ready to go on Amazon, but I’m wondering if I should wait for a few more weeks to order so I don’t have to worry about hiding gifts for weeks before Christmas.
- After we finished Downton Abbey, and since Poldark won’t have new episodes on Amazon Prime for a while, we’re kind of looking for a new show. Any suggestions? Right now I’m loving this series on Catholicism that was gifted to me, and also The Grinder (also Amazon Prime). So basically completely different ends of the spectrum, but that’s how I roll.
- Miriam was baptized last Saturday and it was awesome. So many amazing friends and family came to celebrate with us and my mom hosted a killer party and then we came home and I fell asleep at 7 pm. Best day ever.
- I’ve been trying to make ornaments with the kids each year so they’ll have gifts for family and friends, and this year I decided salt dough ornaments would be sweet. We actually had a lot of fun doing it, and even after we made all the ornaments, the kids spent the better part of an hour playing with the leftover dough. And there was only ONE dog-eating-the-dough-and-puking-it-up-on-the-floor incident, so that’s pretty much a win.
- In case anyone is wondering how life after #buynothingnovember is going… great! I can honestly say that I still am hesitant to buy much stuff and I’m feeling much better for it. I’ve bought a few things here and there (make-up!) but I really haven’t gone over board. I did buy this facial scrub at Target when I went to buy the makeup, so that was a little silly, except that it’s awesome and is making my skin all baby-soft and glow-y. And as I mentioned, I did splurge and buy tickets to the ballet for Joey and I this weekend. But overall, I’m just really conscious about buying much of anything and I’m feeling very peaceful about it going into the holidays. So yay for that! I’m already planning a buy-nothing February or March… so stay tuned for that. And all of you who said you wanted to do it but not the month before Christmas… here’s your warning! I’m coming for ya in a couple months! 😉
So that’s it for me this week. What’s are you all up to?
*Linking up with Kelly at This Ain’t the Lyceum for 7QT. Head over and see what everyone else is quick-takin’ about.*