So, turns out that I should have given up blogging for Lent, because guys? I’m KILLIN’ that. Whoops. I wish I could say we’ve just been super busy, but in reality, it’s just all the regular old life stuff that’s kept me distracted and not clacking away at my keyboard these days. I know you’ve been positively aching to know what’s happening over here, so I’ll put you guys out of your misery immediately. Here’s some updates.
- I’m still hanging in there with Buy Nothing Lent, but if I’m being honest, I’m having a harder time than I did in November. I’m struggling to keep motivation and focus and I’ve even slipped up a few times, which is super annoying. And I know that 40 days isn’t THAT much longer than 30 days, but you know what the big difference is? THE LAST TEN DAYS. Pray for me, will ya? I’ve been cruising Etsy pretty dangerously. How are my fellow buy-nothings doing? How can I encourage you? (Yeah, I know I just told you that I’m sucking at this, but I’m a great cheerleader for things I personally suck at!)
- Last weekend, I attended a Catholic Women’s Blogging Conference in St. Paul and it was the bomb. The talks and workshops were excellent, but my favorite part was just being in the company of so many cool, creative, inspiring chicks. And guys, I won a door prize, which makes me feel like my 30 year streak of never winning anything is finally coming to an end. Should I buy a lottery ticket?!
- One of the things that stuck with me this past weekend was Laura saying that reading is a really important part of writing. This probably stuck with me because it made it feel better, because I’ve been writing nothing, but reading a whole lot. I’ve you’re not on Goodreads yet, will you please hop to it and friend me so I can see what you’re reading and add to my ever-growing “To Read” pile? Pretty please?
- My kids have been passing around some random, terrible respiratory virus for the past week and are only just now coming out of it. They all have these gross, terrible coughs and I feel like I’m living in a TB ward. BUT! I made a batch of elderberry syrup to fight it off and decided to make gummies out of the syrup to make it a little easier and less messy to administer. Guys. It’s so much easier and my kids have zero chill about eating them. They’re obsessed. And I’ve been religiously taking a few a day and have managed to not get this gross illness they have. (You may be asking, “If they’re so great, how come all your kids got sick?” Well, friends, because kids are really and truly gross and do things like take turns licking the remote and each others’ faces. There’s not enough elderberry syrup in the world to make up for that level of germiness.)
- The hint of spring in the air (notice I said hint- because this weather is kind of lame)has me wanting to freshen up the house. Give me some ideas for easy stuff that doesn’t cost a fortune! I’m eyeing my counters and toying with the idea of replacing them with butcher block, but that seems like something I would 100% have to make my husband do, and he’s probably not so much into that. Should I paint something? Put up a tile backsplash in the kitchen? Turn my front room into a homeschool room? Or maybe just buy some new pillows? I want to be ready with some ideas after Easter, so I don’t just go binge at HomeGoods and basically undo all the good of Buy Nothing Lent.
- My friend Kaitlyn makes gorgeous baby carriers (and blankets. and loveys. etc.) and sent me one, along with a mini doll carrier for Grace. I about died it’s so gorgeous and so comfy. I get asked all the time about my baby carriers, so if any of you guys are in the market for a really well-made, reasonably priced ring sling, check her out. Besides getting an amazing carrier for your baby, you’ll be supporting this amazing mama and her family.
- I’m trying to make a decision about what to do with my old food blog. Do I just let it go, to disappear into the land of internet past? Should I try to transfer my entire recipe box over here, and host it in a separate section of this blog? Should I just pick my favorite recipes and publish them here? What do I doooooooo? I’m having a really hard time making this decision, but I’m also really not into paying hosting fees every month. What say you, beloved readers? How are we all feeling about food blogging these days? Still into it? Nah? Speak!
Ok, Joey just came over and is all, “Let’s do a craft!” Soooo… wish me luck.
Linking up with Kelly at This Ain’t the Lyceum for 7 Quick Takes, and Jacqui at Mexican Domestic Goddess, in case you want to know more about the conference or actually see some decent pictures from it!